In 1874, Ralph H. Lodge bought "the
Lake" and 35 acres from Joshua Stow’s heirs. Lodge
proceeded to develop a large and very popular amusement
park. As many as 10,000 people a day came from all
around and by every form of transportation to enjoy the
In 1912, the railroads discontinued
their excursion service, which proved detrimental to the
park. The entire 600-acre Silver Lake Park was sold and
subdivided for residential building in 1917.
The Village was incorporated in March
1918. The first school was established a year later. The
original part of the present school building - four rooms
and a gym - on Overlook Road was voted for and built in
1927. The school has expanded greatly and is now part of
the Cuyahoga Falls School System.
Today, the Village is 1.5 square miles,
which includes Silver Lake and the smaller Crystal Lake.
Silver Lake Park and Silver Lake are
maintained and supervised by the Silver Lake Estates Board
of Trustees. The property deeds of those who live in
Silver Lake Estates, the original subdivision of the Lodge
property, guarantee owners the use of the lake and its
associated facilities, if owners pay the usage fees
necessary to maintain the area.
Crystal Lake facilities are open to all
residents in the Village and are operated by the Crystal
Lake Development Corporation. Owners of real property
within the Village may buy Corporation stock. Annual usage
fees are based on the number of shares owned.
Mrs. Dee Topinka, a Silver Lake resident, has created a website dedicated solely to the
history of Silver Lake. To visit this well
Pictures courtesy of Dee Topinka